Re: Why dive computers?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on January 15, 2001 at 17:35:43:

In Reply to: Why dive computers? posted by Dimitrios on January 15, 2001 at 17:27:00:

If you study the algorithms, pay attention to your diving and gain the requisite skill you'll find soon enough that you'll instinctively know your NDL's.

I often times during my demos dive with diver's that use a computer and the overwhelming majority of the time my calculations match the computers. I'm therefore in the position of having saved hundreds of dollars by not buying the computer, should the computer lock out during a dive I'll know the appropriate decompression procedures, and if I'm on a multi day and/or live aboard and my computer fails I'll be able to continue diving whereas if I relied on a mechanical device and it fails I would lack the requisite knowledge to continue diving...

Furthermore, as I noted I carry tables in the event I'm unsure.. Computers were invented as a supplemental aid to a diver not as a replacement but sadly agencies no longer place understanding NDL limits high on the priority list in favor of quicker more user friendly classes...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]