Re: Not thinking it through

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jr gordon on January 16, 2001 at 19:06:38:

In Reply to: Re: Not thinking it through posted by Jason on January 16, 2001 at 14:42:49:

Jason,

Before you go and spend what $450? or so on the Suunto Vyper because you're impressed that is uses a Reduced Gradient Bubble Model (RGBM) algorithm, you should know that the results are not that impressive if different at all.

I dove recently with a friend who was sporting a
new Vyper on his arm during a staged deco cave dive in waters to 80 fsw. When we reached the end of our 1 1/2 hr. dive, both my 3 year old Suunto Solution Nitrox and the Vyper displayed a 21 minute deco obligation. My son's Aladin Pro Nitrox showed only a 17 minute deco time. All 3 were set on air. The Aladin Pro showed similar results on a recent Yukon dive (100fsw max.) where my Solution showed 11 minutes of deco and the Aladin just 6 minutes. I'm not convinced that Suunto didn't just use the term for marketing purposes. You can still find the Solution Nitrox's in some store for under $200.

It used to be that the real benefit of a Suunto computer was that it displayed deco obligations in minutes up to 199 whereas all the others rolled over after 60 minutes leaving you SOL if you incurred that degree of obligation after say an emergency on a deep dive. Of course nowdays we know better than to use computers on any type of deep or decompression dive.

JRG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]