Re: Cop Out

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on January 17, 2001 at 09:58:52:

In Reply to: Cop Out posted by seahunt on January 16, 2001 at 20:32:36:

Seahunt,

Let's be clear about a few things here:

1) My postion was, and still is, that OE training should be required to dive the Yukon, if you feel that's insulting because of your experience level then so be it..

2) As to being vague or ambiguos it could very well be that is because you are simply looking for reasons to support you conclusion that DIR is inapplicable to SoCal. I have spent an inordinate amount of time discusiing with you in painstaking detail ever element of the system, but yet all you keep looking for is the exception to some part of the system so you can parse the system. The system is what it is and if after reading all the literature, reading our exchanges you still don't get it there isn't much I can do about it. I've indicated that JJ is putting out a book this month, I've indicated that I've reviewed a copy of the book and that I hope that it will answer your remaining questions, but rather than wait you proclaimed your opinion over and over that DIR is inapplicable to California, despite overwhelming evidence to the contraty.

3) JJ put a post to discuss the issues, I have put on numerous DIR demos to explain the system, JJ has been out here twice to give demo's, George Irvine, Dan Volker & Ted Cole have all been out here to discuss the system. All of these opportunities have been made available free of charge, notwithstanding the efforts on the bbs.. You allege that we have some *superior attitude* and are disrespectful to the older diver's, when in reality we spend substantial time explaining the system against diver's that refuse to change * because they have been doing that way for years*.. I repeat over and over, some will recognize the benefits to the system and some won't, its simply a fact of life and we don't kid ourselves into believing that everyone will begin diving DIR. It may very well be true that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Although I'd offer that Frank Farmer seems to be prepared to embrace, at least in some parts, many elements of the system.

4) To suggest that we have *coped out* in any fashion is unreasonable particularly after we endured your thesis that went on and on and then answered all questions and follow ups, at some point it just becomes obviuos that you want to find something wrong with it to justify not embracing it.. You believe it only applies to caves and not much I can continue to say will change that...

5) It seems clear to me that you are willing to accpet a higher risk factor than I am, that is your choice to make and I wish you continued safety in your dives. I've argued that complacency kills and that often times experienced diver's sometimes make mistakes that can cost lives. In the last 6 months we have lost 3 diver's that each had 2000+ dives under their belt. In each case they were solo at the time. But rather than recognize and address these accidents, I'm forced to endure the relentless parsing of language about buddyless -v- solo and on and on...

6) I fully recognize that not everyone wants to hear what I'm saying but there are also others out there that do..

7) You've made your choice and I respect it.

8) as to giving a *party line* and then ducking out, I ask you if ANY other agency and/or system would have spent one hundreth of the time we spend discussing techniques??? Could you imagine PADI giving away this much information for free??? The party line, such as it is, is to provide answers to questions which I have done, but at some point it becomes an exercise in diminishing returns..

9) More and more diver's are recognizing the benefits of DIR day in and day out.. I'm on the boats every weekend out here and its amazing how many diver's are switching. I understand that you don't frequent commercial boats but rather dive off your own boat and thus may not see the change, but like it or not DIR is here and hopefully we'll have a btter year than last year.

10) I've explained everything I can about the HOW's and more importantly the WHY's of thesystem and you claim that I didn't make the case for DIR's application, but I note that you have not given one reason why anything that you recomend is safer and/or better.. In fact, as I understand your position, you generally argue in favor of adding additional risk and then count on being able to fix the problem should it occur.. I'd prefer to not have to worry about the problem in the first place...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]