Re: A few more thoughts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on January 17, 2001 at 20:56:17:

In Reply to: Re: A few more thoughts posted by MHK on January 17, 2001 at 17:36:07:

I must see your calculation methodology.
>>The most obvious problem I see is a diver abandoning the learning of basic decompression models..
That does not seem like a good idea for most divers.
>>And you also have computers that *lock up* when you go into decompression.
Is this a current problem??? I've never had it happen or heard the complaint on a boat, though that is a large, but limited sample. I am skeptical.
>>the knee jerk reaction may be to get to 15' asap and off gas. The reality is in this case when you need the computer the most it locks up..
That is a strange reality, but OK. I'm a sport diver and so never allow myself to get into a deco position (once, maybe, on a guided dive, in 30 years). Aside from that though, you make me wonder if I perhaps know more about deco theory than you surmise. I can certainly do a better seat of the pants evaluation than that. It's sort of instinctual from observation over the years. Also I really haven't said much about it, because it's not considered correct in most circles, but I figured out long ago that if you leave the bottom quickly and stop a little less than 1/3 of the way up (depending on estimated saturation state) that you would reach some depth where there was some equilibrium of off and on gassing. (It's a great place to pause and plan to impliment your full ascent.) It's just basic O Chem principles. Thinking about it, it sounds much like your deep stop model... which I never gave an opinion on. Funny. I have asked about it once on the Diverlink BBS, but never persued it because it seemed like a sort of esoteric idea that certainly existed in theory, but I didn't know what the reality really was. I was told that current computers use this some and that the deeper part of the ascent is done faster... whatever... I'll wait for your deco model essay on that...
>>Would using a single steel kill you if you lost you primary inflation, in most cases probably not, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk..
To me though, the risk is worth it, for the benifit. Yes, we differ and it effects much of how we evaluate diving.
I'll wait to see your deco model, because that is what I have my greatest doubts about and it is the most important point we have discussed. I hope you will be specific and also be careful in your terms. Make sure it tells when you are using a table and for what. Make sure to tell what calculations you are doing. When you use the word 'model' please be very clear about what that means. Sometimes, I can't tell if you mean a table, a wheel, or a mathmatical model you have memorized. Please also be clear about what you think is necessary as far as data sampling.
Then besides if I think it of merit, I would still ask you if most people could accurately use it uw. No offense to anyone, but most people aren't good at that stuff.
I'd like to see your methods.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]