For the record...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SLANG on January 31, 2000 at 17:42:48:

In Reply to: Re: Sport Chalet... posted by John Walker on January 30, 2000 at 20:20:26:

John:
"I've been involved in the Cal. diving industry over two decades and has seen how it all began.
Their was a time when the smaller dive store didn't have to worry about discounting anything until
certain large sporting good stores came into existence."

I hope you're not just referring to Sport Chalet with this comment, because I'll bet their "involvement" in the sport pre-dates your own. I was originally certified in 1974 in a class I signed up for through the original Sport Chalet in La Canada. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the "small independents." However, Sport Chalet wasn't exactly a big chain then either. They just had the one medium sized store at that time, and they primarily specialized in mountaineering and skiing. But they maintained a small, but well stocked dive dept. It WAS my local dive shop, the only one in the area (at least the only one that I could get to as a 13 y/o). Sure, now they are the "big guys," but I don't feel they should necessarily be penalized for their success (even if they can offer somewhat lower prices on certain items, at the cost of much of their ability to provide personal attention and knowledgeable staff). Sure, they're not the same place they used to be; they really pissed me off when they ended their relationship with ScubaPro before I could replace my JetFins - I had to drive further and pay an additional $15 - but diving is the kind of sport where you can (and I'm sure most of us do) support more than one shop. Believe me when I say, I think I personally support EVERY dive shop in So. Cal.! ...Including ReefSeeker, which is one of the places I go when I'm looking for personal attention and knowledgeable staff - regardless of the price.

SLANG

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]