Which regulator to take

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on January 21, 2001 at 00:09:29:

In Reply to: Logistics posted by Eins on January 20, 2001 at 20:34:49:

I have always maintained that in a real OOA situation, the OOA diver wil always give the universal OOA signal. He/She will yoink the primary from the nearest diver and not give it back. They are in trouble, and need the air FAST. They will not hold a sign language discussion or look around for the octo -- they do not have time.

I believe that it is most important that we know our own octo and how to get it into our own mouth in a surprising/stressful situation. Of all the DIR things out there, this necklace is my favorite. It just makes so much sense.

I regularly share my octo in class situation when we need to keep an airhog underwater long enough to finish with the rest of the class. I use a supertanker 95 and scoot around to the airhog(s) and give them the share-air signs. Then they take my octo and I hang on to them as we kneel on the sand. When they switch back, I hand them their own reg. and re-clip mine to its BC-Bungie-thingy. For this reason, I have not done the necklace, yet, but I plan to construct one and use it when I dive for fun.

In an emergency, my reg is available to anyone. But if you sleep over on the boat, make sure you bring your brush and clean those teeth in the morning before we go diving!

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]