head in the sand

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on January 22, 2001 at 19:36:56:

In Reply to: Re: It's painful being duped posted by Kendall Raine on January 22, 2001 at 18:26:16:

There are many people who have been solo diving safely for years. Why is it that you insist in sticking your head in the sand and deny this? It seems to me you are the one being blind.

It is true that many divers should never dive alone, but then there are also many people who dive who really have no business in the water.

All the rescues I have done have involved one or both of a members of a buddy team, never a solo diver. I believe this is because most people who dive solo are more than experienced enough to stay out of trouble in the first place, or can deal with problems without panic.

If you are a proponent of training, why are you so against such a course. Are you saying that buddy teams do not get into trouble? That members of buddy teams do not die?

It is my contention that number one factor in all diver safety is the diver him/her self, regardless of solo or buddy diving. A course that teaches how to take care of one's self when alone id a great idea, even for those who dive with buddies.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]