Re: Tank Conversion Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Glenn on January 29, 2001 at 09:58:34:

In Reply to: Tank Conversion Question posted by Dimitrios on January 29, 2001 at 09:30:45:

Dimitrios,

Co2 tanks have much thicker walls, and are made specifically for Co2.
Scuba tanks hold compressed air which is pretty stable, unlike Co2.
Co2 can expand with even the slightest temperature change, and would cause most tanks to burst open.
Don't put Co2 in any tank unless it was DOT tested SPECIFICALLY for Co2.
Like I told you in the email, Co2 tanks have much thicker walls which will contain the pressure.

Sure, a Scuba tank will hold a little Co2, but if you put very much in it the pressure will grow as it warms up, and it will burst open and send a peice of shrapnel flying.

And like you stated in email, you can't measure Co2 by PSI. The pressure of the co2 will change with the temperature, and if it is stored 80 degrees or above it can become too much for a scuba tank to handle.

Scuba tanks are tested according to how many pounds per square inch, and Co2 tanks are tested as to how many pounds they can hold SAFELY, including varying temperatures.
So, with a temperature that varies from 60 degrees to 90 degrees, a certified Co2 tank will safely contain the growing pressure.

Like I said before, you can be safe, or you can be the man on the 10 o' clock news that was killed by a peice of shrapnel from a scuba tank.

I hope you will find a tank specifically designed for Co2. Pressurized air does not expand as much as pressurized Co2. What you want to do is just plain dangerous.

Hope I've helped,

-Glenn

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]