stress vs. strain

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on February 02, 2001 at 10:28:20:

In Reply to: Re: The + Rating And Some Facts, For A Change posted by Eins on January 29, 2001 at 21:29:45:

I'm feeling a bit nit-picky today, having just got back from a week of hell in Las Vegas (for work). My last five dive trips have all gotten called based on weather (and my wish to remain a breathing, functional member of society), and as such, I feel the need to poke holes in the semantics you're using.

First, if a hydro test measures elastic expansion, then it would be a measure of strain, not stress. Maybe we can't apply the definitions I learned in my physics and geology classes, but stress is a force applied to a body. If that body deforms, that is strain (which can be measured). Making an assumption (and quite possibly making an ass out of you and umption), what the hydro folks are doing is measuring the elasticity of the material. Basically inducing deformation, measuring, releasing the source of stress, and measuring again. Any deformation remaining after the stressing force has been removed is, by definition, inelastic. Making another WAG (wild ass guess), I bet the hydro folks are looking for signs of inelastic strain. Basically, is the material of this tank losing it's elasticity.

JRM

--ever wonder why they call them Internet *Service* Providers. I think I should sue for false advertising (especially now that I'm no longer working for one). I think Internet Service is an oxymoron. Which goes along well with the rest of the morons that work at the ISP I was unlucky enough to deal with.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]