Re: What happens when you go solo on a Channel Islands boat? +

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on February 06, 2000 at 16:14:14:

In Reply to: What happens when you go solo on a Channel Islands boat? + posted by ChrisM on February 04, 2000 at 21:54:19:

From years of personal experience on almost all the boats in San Pedro, and the boats I've dived in Ventura ( I don't get up there as often as I would like to ) you should have no problem finding a buddy. If on the other hand your question relates to the fact that you want to dive solo and how will the DM handle the issue, that may vary from boat to boat and by in large it is based on your diving experience.

Many of the boats here in SoCal begin with the premise that you are a certified diver and therefore you should be in a better position to judge your abilities than some DM who has never met you.

Personally, the way I handle it, is to ask a few subtile questions, I will non intrusively look at your gear and then I will watch the way you look while you are gearing up. If I see anything that looks/sounds like you are unqualified I might *suggest* that you buddy up, often times I will *suggest* that I give you a guided tour. In this way you don't feel so put off, you get to see dive site's with someone who dive's them every weekend and then I can see for myself if you should be diving solo.

These are not hard and fast rules, but general observations based on years of SoCal DM'ing and having to be the person who swims out to get you if you have a problem.

Most, if not all, of the boats here tend not to babysit but they, all of them included, are very concerned for diver safety. SO they sort of balance a fine line.

Good advice is to call ahead if you have the chance.

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]