Re: Solo Diving - A personal opinion

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by capt-ray on February 07, 2001 at 17:03:19:

In Reply to: Re: Solo Diving - A personal opinion posted by AADIVER on February 07, 2001 at 14:23:27:

I hate to even weigh in on this issue but you guys have got to separate "dir", "solo", "buddy", "group" or any other kind of diving preference you seem to prefer from the issue at hand. The issue at hand is that any diving practice that statistically results in having the diver or group of divers involved in a diving activity return to the surface in a safe and comfortable manner is a good thing. I have seem many different styles of procedures and equipment configurations in my limited diving experience (I started somewhat slowly in about 1964, picking up speed in the 1980's). I would think that it would be more important to press the positive issues than to try to pervert or twist the negative to support an individual opinion or view.

We are all involved in a sport that has a relatively negative public image for safety, legality, environment, etc. The sport fishing boats traditionally pay much less for commercial insurance than the dive boats but statistically have about twice the accidents and fatalities as the dive boats.

How many times in anyone's diving career have any of us brought limits of Yellowtail or Tuna home on a diving trip? Not a lot, I will personally guaranty, and I do about as well as anyone. Yet, the fishing types consistently accuse us of being the "rape and pillage" types just because we own a speargun. But they will come back to port with "Limits for every passenger, all 85 of them" (That's 850 Yellowtail or Tuna). If we are to have any effect on the future of diving we need to speak and project ourselves as a unified group with one voice, that which protects and promotes our sport.

So much for my soap box.

Ray

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]