Re: A case where solo diving is safer: 2 on a boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on February 08, 2001 at 12:27:30:

In Reply to: Re: A case where solo diving is safer: 2 on a boat posted by AADIVER on February 08, 2001 at 11:41:11:

AADIVER wrote:

"So single handed sailboat racing should be abolished, forbidden, proscribed, outlawed?"

Now Frank, stop, breathe, think, my friend. This will be a discussion, or I will not participate, period. I don't do the flame war thing.

Did I ever say that solo diving "should be abolished, forbidden, proscribed, outlawed?" No.

Have I counseled others against it, based upon safety concerns ? Yes. Do I teach the buddy system in my NAUI/PADI courses ? Yes. When we have a new diver on a wreck boat do I make sure they are diving with a buddy ? Yes.

You asked "Since when did you, a solo of solo's, catch the DIR bug? " I have not caught any bug. In fact, where I dive, how I dive, when I dive, why I dive and with what I dive with is well beyond the training, experience or equipment of most divers.

But if I can improve my diving safety in any way, then I am game. And just like I improved my diving safety by wrecking with you and Bill and Phil ( all very good divers ) then I continue to improve my dive safety by teching with others.

Please do not fault me for promoting the increase in safety aspect of diving within a buddy team. After all, we just got done burying one of our brothers, who died deep and who died alone. And Dan was not the first for you and me, and will not be the last.

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]