Because it's THERE!! NOT!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on February 12, 2001 at 10:17:36:

In Reply to: WKPP on TV - "Adventure Odyssy" posted by AADIVER on February 11, 2001 at 10:51:56:

Well, I almost spewed tea all over my monitor when I read this post. Especially the "Because it's there" part. I'm not sure if the WKPP guys used that line in their show, but I know I've used it quite a bit. "Because it's there" is actually a canned response. It's what you say to some schmuck who asks why you do something. The why question is something that really can't be explained to people who don't engage in the quest. So inevetiably the "because it's there" gets paraded out to placate them. The listener gets what they want (to think you're a lunatic), and you get what you want (an armchair schmoe to stop asking stupid questions).

But, this got me to thinking. First of all the times I've used this line, and second why I dive. Why do I dive? Or more importantly, why would I dive a particular dive? Since most of us reading this *do* dive, I think we stand a better chance of being able to understand our fellow diver's quest to put the "why" into words. I'd really like to hear some of the different "whys" from you more experienced folks.

As a relative newbie, I think my "why" is rooted in a deep fascination with the underwater world. This realization came to me the other day, on a spearfishing trip. That was the whole point, to bring back a bit of the ocean to enjoy on the table for a few weeks. We were diving in one of the most lush, game-rich areas I'd ever seen (in my limited experience). It seemed like the stories you hear the old guys talk about, fish everywhere. And even though I had more opportunities than I could count, I didn't pull the trigger for the entire dive. I was just fascinated watching everything, and being an active participant. I consider that tank to be the best diving (w/ tanks) of the entire weekend.

In fact, that dive had a deep effect on me (sorry 'bout the pun). Almost as much as my first deep freedive. I guess I'd consider my actions on that dive to be the best expression of the "why" I dive.

So, I'd like to hear why you other folks dive, or why did you dive a particular spot (those who have enough experience to warrant such a post). I'm also rather interested in why MHK and his guys dive the Matterhorn.

JRM

--is it too early for contemplation?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]