Re: Mia Tegner's DDRC Final Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on February 13, 2001 at 11:13:06:

In Reply to: Re: Mia Tegner's DDRC Final Report posted by AADIVER on February 13, 2001 at 11:03:57:

Posted by AADIVER on February 13, 2001 at 11:03:57:

. Big lesson for all of us: always pack more gas than the dive requires, i.e. doubles or a minimum 30 cu ft pony.

Frank,

When wreck diving and/or deco diving ( as I understand it this was an UNplanned decompression dive) but in any event, everyone should be adhering to the rule of 1/3's..

1/3 of your gas supply on the way down and on the way in

1/3 of your gas supply for the exit and the ascent

1/3 of your gas supply for emergencies...

She was doing wreck diving and should NEVER have violated the fundamental rule of wreck diving which is to never violate 1/3's...

The entire dive seems like a mess.. They didn't pay attention to there NDL's, the obviously had little respect for the buddy system, they used the wrong gas, they had little, if any, emergency planning..

But the sad part to me is that this cavalier attitude is the way the overwhelming majority of approach a wreck dive out here and when you suggest safety protocols you get accused of being a zealot...

If you look at Mia's fatal dive and then compare to what we say and do, there is simply no way a diver following DIR protocols would ever be involved in that type of dive...

Some people would rather debate us so they that have to listen to us... But the facts speak for themselves...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]