Re: A view from the sidelines

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on February 13, 2001 at 17:10:42:

In Reply to: A view from the sidelines posted by Wayne on February 13, 2001 at 16:59:06:

Wayne,

What I still don't understand from Ken's posts, but maybe you do and can provide me with the answer is as follows:

I know full well that Ken advocates solo diving

I know full well that Ken hates Nitrox

I didn't need 5 posts to get that information, but what I can't reconcile is how he feels justified in telling diver's * If you breath Nitrox you will die* ( or whatever precise language Ken has signed off on).. Nitrox has one potentially fatal drawback, and that's oxygen toxicity. In short if your gas requires you to stay above 130' and you violate your Maximum Operating Depth ( MOD), you risk oxygen toxicity which would mean you could convuls and die.

The obvious solution is to stay above your MOD. Ken has offered up that diver's may not have proper bouyancy skills, they don't pay enough attention to depths during a dive and several other reasons why he believes a diver would violate an MOD.

In my view there are many, many things that could go wrong on a solo dive so what I can't reconcile in the two positions is why he believes a diver diving solo can handle the multiplicity of things that can go wrong, but yet doesn't think a diver can stay above the MOD???

I didn't see that answered in any of the 5 posts. I knew full well Ken's positions so I didn't need him to reiterate them, I just wanted him to reconcile the two..

I was disappointed that he chose to hide behind semantics because as Kendall noted in another post, I expected more from Ken...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]