Re: K.K. said: "A bad buddy's better than no buddy" - NOT!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on February 14, 2001 at 13:30:44:

In Reply to: K.K. said: "A bad buddy's better than no buddy" - NOT!! posted by AADIVER on February 14, 2001 at 11:39:11:

Perhaps the word "incompetent" would have been a better choice than "bad". I merely used that term ("bad") since others who had been defnding solo have used it ("I won't dive with a bad buddy") as the justification to dive solo.

Frank, could you define for us what YOU mean by a "bad buddy". Sounds like it may be something different from what I'm thinking.

My point simply is that, in terms of trying to help you out once an accident has occured (out of air, entangled, whatever) an incompetent buddy (unable to provide assistance, or not ready to respond) is no worse than no buddy at all. But even an "incompetent" buddy might of of SOME help and enable someone to solve a problem that they would not have been able to solve alone (provide air, unentangle, or just give piece of mind knowing you're not alone).

(Gee guys, I was actually DEFENDING the buddy system.)

And R Bear, I understand your point about the silt-out. My reference was to the recreational envirnoment, which would preclude cave diving. But I think you make a valid point that in THOSE evironments, an incompetent buddy could pose an added risk.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]