Re: Sea Lion attacks continue unabated at Santa Cruz!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by seahunt on February 27, 2001 at 11:59:41:

In Reply to: Re: Sea Lion attacks continue unabated at Santa Cruz!!! posted by Glenn on February 27, 2001 at 10:51:42:

Huh? Say what? Territorial?
Look, I'll admit up front that I could be wrong, but I think you are a bit off on your interpretation of sea lion behavior...
I can say that I have a fairly educated opinion, both because my instructors have included Ken Norris and Berney Le Boef... as
pretty leading pinniped researchers, as well as because of a lot of practical experience.
Anyway, they are no where near an area that qualifies as a territory for a sea lion. There are no breeding beaches near Anacapa.
Only elephant seals are known for getting aggressive towards humans on breeding beaches and only then if you stand up.
Also, the sea lions have been buzzing divers since there have been divers for the sea lions to have a laugh at. I've heard of
them snagging fish and biting on fins, but I've never heard of them ramming anyone... (porpoises do occasionally) I really have
to think that you are misinterpreting their behavior. I think it is more curiosity and a desire to play.
I especially like meeting the ones I call butterballs. At the end of summer you meet them. They are the young ones that were
born earlier that year. They are about 4 feet long and just as wide. Their curiosity stretches for miles though and they have
those big beautiful soulfull eyes.
Enjoy the diving, seahunt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]