Re: backup computer--more liberal or more conservative?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on March 01, 2001 at 16:50:31:

In Reply to: backup computer--more liberal or more conservative? posted by Eins on February 24, 2001 at 08:29:57:

I always set my dive computer to "gauge" mode. Then it only gives me read outs of depth, time, and temperature plus a dive profile after the dive. I memorized the U.S. Navy tables years ago, down to 300 feet with nominal decomp for short dives. The recent NOAA manual doubles the recommended ascent times to 30 feet per second from 60 feet per second for the Navy tables. Factoring that into my dive plans with an Excel(TM) spreadsheet gives me an air consumption plan that includes decomp at 20 and 10 feet. If I cant do the calculations underwater in my head, then I know I am getting narked. Time to head for 20 feet and decomp. My backup is an analog depth gauge on my console and my diving watch. A second dive computer would be a waste of money, unless you are gonna loan it to your girlfriend when she dives with you. Better to use the money to buy a second B/C or reg, or even a kayak, IMO.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]