Re: Enough nicities...what's the procedure for the multilevel NDL computatio

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on March 05, 2001 at 12:04:21:

In Reply to: Re: Enough nicities...what's the procedure for the multilevel NDL computatio posted by kelphead on March 05, 2001 at 11:38:00:

Kelphead;

Sorry you couldn't attend. I disagree with Gerry inasmuch as I thought Jarrod did a pretty good job of explaining why a simple, streamlined rig used in conjunction with a team approach to diving actually took work and stress out of the dive and that, as such, enhanced the recreational dive experience as much as minimizing risk in the technical one. I agree with Gerry that JJ veered back too much into the technical side of things, but he's still refining his presentation to the purely recreational side of the audiance. In fact, Mark Londsdale made a very interesting point about streamlining. He said the drag caused by a body in water is the square of the area of the body and that the work to overcome the drag was the cube of the area of the body. Ergo, a little extra surface area is a lot more drag is a ton more work to overcome. Hence, by being more streamlined, work goes down dramatically and you have more energy and gas left to enjoy the dive. What could be more recreational than that?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]