Answers...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by R Bear on March 07, 2001 at 11:00:54:

In Reply to: Re: On weighting, DIR, and steel tanks while diving wet. posted by Kendall Raine on March 07, 2001 at 09:00:28:

Tank buoyancies vary so little from a change in depth that for all practical purposes they remain unchanged. My numbers are simply the manufacturers empty numbers plus the weight of the air in a nominal fill. The true buoyancy changes if you over fill or use a gas other than air.
>Also, as for wet suit buoyancy at depth. Are you factoring compressability as well as weight of water?
I believe you meant...Are you factoring compressability as a function of weight of water? or in other words as a function of depth.
Yes I am.
Yes the numbers are empirical. When I free dive I weight myself for different depths depending on the location. For deep free dives I weight myself to be neutral at 30 feet. Sometimes I free dive over a twenty foot bottom. In that case I weight myself neutral for 15 to 16 feet. I have found that treating your wetsuit as a gas (ie it will shrink 50 percent at 2 atmospheres) is a good first approximation.
Glad you liked the post.
Ron

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]