Re: Baja diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BayAreadiver on February 23, 2000 at 18:40:56:

In Reply to: Re: Baja diving posted by H2oDvr on February 23, 2000 at 13:31:01:

I dove El Bajo before in October and saw two schools of hammerhead. Also got to swim with a whale shark right off the oil refinery near La Paz (which you will pass by on the way to El Bajo).

When heading to Baja, bring your light wetsuit. Actually, I'm a cold wimp so last time I went (in December to Bahia de Los Angeles), I brought my 1/4 inch as well. But the depth at El Bajo may get to 70-80 ft and since you are swimming slowly to conserve air while scoping for sharks, it gets COLD (for me that is).

It's amazing how chilly things could get even in the Sea of Cortez. I used Scubaja while in La Paz, and they do offer dives to El Bajo.

While in Loreto, I dove with Baja Outpost. I think they have a website.

As far as kayaks, it's tough getting out to the island from La Paz. It's a good paddle but the islands are nice. The islands are a bit closer to Loreto. I did not dive anywhere in between Loreto and La Paz (except one day from Escondido).

I did drop by Conception and checked out the beach and also went to Mulege. Mulege has diving but I don't think it's year round so you may want to check. Last time I was there, a swiss couple was running the shop (a year ago).

Best wishes and I envy you for being able to go.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]