Re: reserve buoyancy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on March 12, 2001 at 12:46:27:

In Reply to: Re: reserve buoyancy posted by Gerry Smith on March 12, 2001 at 12:05:17:

The newer Halcyon BB's do not require a STA, even the old one that did require the STA meant that the STA was ~ 1lb.

The concern I have had seems to me that some people simply want to find some way some how to figure out a fact pattern whereby it could justify a steel and a wetsuit, and I acknowledge the point about the *old* 72's, but the problem with that attempt is as follows:

1) It speaks of a terrible mindset and approach;

2) Most people will not do the required due dilligence to find out bouyancy characterisitics, wetsuit compressibility;

3) This stuff is paid lip- service at best during OW training and many local diver's don't even recognize it as an issue much less something that could kill you if your primary inflation source fails;

4) The standard answer most instructors/shops ( note; not all, but most) give a student/diver when asked how can they get added BT's is to simply buy a bigger tank, and thus ignores the other areas of streamlinning, trim and any potential hazards associated with steels and wetsuits;

I'm glad that by bringing this issue to the forefront instructors such as yourself focused and hopefully you'll continue to bring these kind of discussions up in your classes..

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]