wow, clear as mud! yes I would like an emailed copy!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on March 13, 2001 at 08:50:03:

In Reply to: Re: dive tables for dive computers? ever heard of that?? posted by MHK on March 12, 2001 at 17:20:14:

Mike,

If you could tell me where in the archives your previous analysis is, then I could just go there and print it off myself. If its easier for you to send me an emailed copy, sure, I would love a copy of it. My email address is RAIDERKARL@HOTMAIL.COM .

There are at least two completely different dive table "algorithms" that I know of in great detail. First is the U.S. Navy dive tables. NOAA uses these for their divers, as you know. Second is the PADI dive tables, known throughout PADI as the "recreational dive planner." Both of these algorithms are significantly different from each other, especially if you want to dive deep. The Navy tables assume total off-gassing of 12 hours, whereas PADI tables assume it in a period of 6 hours. Navy tables stop with an "O" residual group [I believe; I dont have Navy tables in front of me right now], whereas PADI goes all the way out to "Z." You cannot use these two tables interchangably. I am not as familiar with the NAUI, SSI, or the other table versions that the other dive agencies have developed. But that lends itself to A LOT of possible variables in terms of "algorithms" available to the dive computer manufacturing industry. I have heard of the Buhlman algorithm, but I have never seen hard copy dive tables with residual groups and decompression tables to 300 feet for them. I know these dive computer manufacturing companies "market" their product by advertising a "more conservative model." But unless we could see what exactly their equivalent tables would be, so that we could compare them to the U.S. Navy and to PADI, I dont see how anyone with a brain could trust them. You see, I am very skeptical of anything that I cannot see with my own eyes, especially when it comes to scuba diving. Thanks for your response and your info in your post. Please send me a copy of your previous post, if you have time, buddy!

/s/ RaiderKarl
NAUI OW1 '75, SSI AOW & Rescue '00, PADI DMC '01

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]