You should always check weather before you slip the moorings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on March 13, 2001 at 17:09:34:

In Reply to: Re: cancelations posted by MHK on March 13, 2001 at 10:01:54:

Whether it is your own private boat or a commercial boat, someone needs to make a go/no-go based on all available data. If fog is predicted, one must consider the options. (In November I discovered that my boat does not show up on radar. I was very surprised when I could hear the engines of the "rescue" boat and they could not see me on radar!) In this case we were moving the boat from SD to LA and it seemed prudent to do the trip in spite of the fog. If the plan was to dive... well I would have probably left the boat in port that day.

As for fearing a DM or skipper is conservative, I prefer conservatives surrounding me. I have my share of differences of opinion with MHK, but I would like to dive on a boat he is on. I am sure that he will do his best to enhance diver safety and enjoyment. Last year I was on a boat in Florida in 12 foot seas. Watching them get a bunch of newbies and students back on board was fun for me. I am glad I did not have the responsibility! I would have turned the boat back to port rather than place inexperienced divers into the water. If they knew the sea state, they shoudl have cancelled before departure IMHO.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]