Re: Getting a second chance......Totally wrong

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kendall Raine on March 15, 2001 at 10:38:20:

In Reply to: Re: Getting a second chance...... posted by kelphead on March 14, 2001 at 20:13:15:

Nothing has changed with respect to self-sufficiency in DIR recently or ever and you couldn't be more wrong about DIR and total reliance on a buddy. The DIR system stresses fundamental skill mastery and continuing training to keep those skills current. A buddy who is not self-sufficient simply can't help another diver to the degree necessary. This is so obvious to me that I'm astounded that, having attended some demos, you missed that point. It's critical. The DIR concept of diving with a qualified buddy means the team is stronger than the sum of its parts. If the constituent divers were not self-sufficient, the team could be no stronger than the sum of its parts-potentially weaker, actually.

Is it possible you equate team diving with co-dependancy? To me, co-dependancy means I couldn't help myself much less rescue a buddy from a tough spot. That is, I need the buddy to complete the dive and return without incident. Self-sufficient divers diving as a team can each get themselves out of a jam individually as well as effect rescue if necessary. DIR is all about eliminating co-dependancy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]