yo Big Jeff, heres the skinny on that!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on March 21, 2001 at 09:25:02:

In Reply to: Monestary Tips posted by Jeff B on March 21, 2001 at 08:00:06:

I will be working with students the next couple of weeks in classes, or I would take you on a tour myself! Welcome to the neighborhood!

Right now Monastery Beach is perfect. Upwellings of 48 degrees F are bringing crystal clear pelagic waters up now, so you can see 50 to 75 feet underwater!

There are two spots with great u/w scenery. Either the extreme south end of the beach or else the extreme north end. Both ends have rocky reefs with kelp growing on them and myriads of sea life. Right now the kelp is thin and tall and very beautiful, easy to swim through underwater or around on the surface.

Be careful about diving the north end. That rocky reef leads straight down into The Trench. The Trench goes down to 20,000 feet. I doubt that even U.S. Navy submarines can go that deep. Its a very steep trench that runs along the edge of the rocky reef, with sand to your left (south) and a rock wall to your right (the reef). If youre going to dive here, trimix is probably the only sensible mixture. I saw 4 Sacramento divers descending into it with their multi-tank configurations, and they were wearing T.D.I. hats on the beach prior to their dive, when I talked to them. The asked me the same thing that you did.

The entry/exit points at Monastery are on both ends at the extreme edges of the beach behind the thin kelp beds there. Enter fins-off walking after you count the sets in order to get through the surf zone fast. The plunging breakers will roll you if you get caught by one.

Exit fins-on crawling at the same spot that you entered. If you are really experienced at this beach, you could exit fins off walking, but even then 20% of people who try this get rolled.

MBDC (Monterey Bay Dive Center) is on Cannery Row in Monterey adjacent to Breakwater Cove by the USCG station. Great dive store, you cant miss it.

Aquarius Dive Shop is on Del Monte Avenue in Monterey just a few blocks south of its intersection with Calif. St. Hwy. 1. The owner is "H" Toberman, a T.D.I. diver and former U.S. Navy diver. He knows everything about diving, and he could get you anything you need. Dont flirt with his beautiful wife however, that has got me into trouble in the past! I have their phone number if you want it: (831) 375-1933.

Have a safe trip and a great dive. Sorry that I will miss you on this trip up North!

/s/ RaiderKarl
[i raid things of value from the Ocean floor]

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]