Re: Force Fins? Why not for DIR?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on March 21, 2001 at 16:05:35:

In Reply to: Force Fins? Why not for DIR? posted by AADIVER on March 21, 2001 at 14:45:40:

Frank,

In all candor the force fin lost me when I did a test dive with there signature line. The one you used to dive with.

Those fins are designed by definition to help the diver walk to and from the gate, and to help compensate for poor kicking technique. Neither myslef, nor I suspect DIR, will ever accept the notion of a piece of gear designed to help compensate for poor diving skills. I think diver's shouldn't buy gear to compensate for lack of skills...

Furthermore, the force fin, is a terrible fin for OE's. In an OE you need to do a few different styles of kick ( frog, flutter, or modified flutter) depending on the environment. In many cases the objective is to frog kick with maximum efficiency to get out of a cave or a wreck against a high flow or a strong current and the force fin simply does NOT help the diver accomplish that objective...

The Jet Fin or the Turtle Fin on the other hand do..

Also I'm disturbed about this epidemic of the split fin.. They are terrible fins, they cost a lot of money, and if you need to get somewhere in a hurry ( ie; an emergency) you need a few kicks to get going..

They are a marketing gimmick that sadly has succeded...

Later

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]