A personal plea

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MHK on March 21, 2001 at 16:51:38:

Many of you on this list know me personally, many know me only via the bbs. Many think I'm a nice guy and many think I'm a jerk..

I mostly take all this stuff as good, wholesome fun and just go with the punches, but a matter that is very near and dear to my heart is diving safety and to a greater extent, care for diver's in the event of an accident.

The Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber is staffed with great volunteers and is only partially funded by our tax dollars. The remaining shortfall needs to be funded by US diver's..

Whether you agree with me or not on certain diving issues, I hope we can all put aside our disagreements, stop the flaming for a few minutes and see if we can't help raise some money for the chamber.

A few years ago I started a challenge as a way to encourage the diving community to rally and get involved. At the time I had no idea if the idea was going to fall flat on it's face, whether it was going to be a monumental disaster, or a success.

Very fortunatley the effort has proven to be a greater success than I could have ever imagined. Ken has already put out a few posts addressing the issue, but I wanted to take a minute to personally identify myself with the issue.

Some may like me, some may hate me, some have learned from me and some will not listen to a thing I say and I respect all of the above, but in the interest of the Chamber I'd like to take this opportunity for those that hate me to hit me where it hurts ( my wallet ) and make me put up... Those that have gained any added sense of diving safety and/or knowledge from me, please acknowledge the effort by hitting me where it hurts the most ( my wallet )... And even those that I have killfiled, in the interest of bringing the dive community together, think of all the entertainment that I have provided ;-)
and make me pay where it counts ( in the wallet)..

I'm willing to put up $10,000 of my own money, to be matched dollar for dollar against every dollar contributed by the dive community. My contribution is limited to $10,000, but I wouldn't be upset if we blew that number out of the water. Last year we did ~ $22,000, plus my $10K which totalled ~ $32,000 to the Chamber.. I think we can do better this year...

My money was only the impetus for this fund raiser, it's the diver's that make this thing work.. It is all of ours chamber, and it is staffed 24/7, 365 days a year and it should be supported by those that may benefit from it..

Just remember when you are home having Thanksgiving dinner, or Christmas dinner, or taking your spouse out for Valentine's Day or are celebrating New Years there is a volunteer staff at the chamber to help a fellow diver in an emergency...

Please call 310-652-4990 and help contribute to this very worthwhile cause..

All BS aside, this is a very important annual event and I hope we can all join together and make this year even bigger than last...

Thank you

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]