Re: deep sim stops

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve on March 21, 2001 at 22:42:02:

In Reply to: Re: deep sim stops posted by Eins on March 21, 2001 at 21:40:56:

Here is some of what Mr. Pyle believes to be important in deep stop deco theory that is highly regarded by some in the know.

"For example, suppose you want to do a trimix dive to 300 feet, and your desktop software says that your first "required" decompression stop is 100 feet. You should recalculate the profile by adding short (2-minute) stops at 200 feet, 150 feet, and 125 feet. Of course, since your computer software assumes that you are still on-gassing during these stops, the rest of the calculated decompression time will be slightly longer than it would have been if you did not include the stops. However, in my experience and apparently in the experience of many others, the reduction in probability of DCI will far outweigh the costs of doing the extra hang time. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that the advantages of deep safety stops are so large that you could actually reduce the total decompression time (by doing shorter shallow stops) and still have a lower probability of getting bent - but until someone can provide more evidence to support that contention, you should definitely play it safe and do the extra decompression time."

He sees the same thing on his desktop software that you are seeing on your vyper but it's how he feels after the dive that counts. I have added a deep stop in my diving, for example if I dive to 126' I stopped at 63' for 2 minutes then up to the 15-20' range for the safety stop. Very minor change in the profile that causes no harm and seems to make sense in off gassing the largest bubbles that I accomulated at 126'. This doesn't add to my hang time because I wasn't in deco to begin with. Are you into heavy duty saturation dives?

The article can be found at:
http://www.bishop.hawaii.org/bishop/treks/palautz97/deepstops.html

Steve

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]