overshooting on a shore dive

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on March 22, 2001 at 12:42:44:

In Reply to: Thanks Karl posted by brianc on March 22, 2001 at 11:42:19:

The instructors that I D/M with are always the ones to explain everything "the first time" to the dive students, whether an OW1 or AOW class. But after that the students usually come to me for "another" explanation.

I normally tell them the best thing to do is navigate as best they can underwater, and then when they reach 15' depth on their return leg, then stop there, do their safety stop of 2 to 3 mins, and then SURFACE AND LOOK. That way, they cannot overshoot the cove or the particular beach that they were diving from. For small coves in the real world, like at Lovers Point, Coral Street, or Butterfly House, that is the best procedure.

The most dangerous thing that I have seen OW1 and AOW students do is trying to imitate the instructor and navigate all the way back up to the beach. The instructor can do it, but the students normally cant. And the poor students dont know the difference underwater between rocky shoals and sandy beach.

I enjoy being the D/M. Its a whole lot more fun than being the OWSI. It allows you to tell the students the truth, but only after the instructor has first given them the textbook proper answer!

Dont overshoot the beach! Theres rocks.

/s/ RaiderKarl
NAUI OW1 '75, SSI AOW & Rescue '00, PADI DMC '01

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]