Re: Equipment, Training and Experience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by randy54 on March 22, 2001 at 21:52:22:

In Reply to: Equipment, Training and Experience posted by Kevin on March 22, 2001 at 14:48:22:

IMHO, I think a real problem is somewhat of a paradox.
New divers and very experienced divers are the most likely to die. The new diver has no idea that their training is substandard. they're taught, sometimes, how to operate technical equipment, and go into an alien inviroment. It's easy for them to (pardon the pun)get in over their heads. Something goes wrong, and they don't know how to handle it on dive number 6, or 10, or even 20. But in training, they were told they would. Very likely, what happened to the young lady on the Yukon. Then there's the Mia's, who get complacent. "I've Logged so many dives, nothing can happen I can't handle" syndrom.
I do believe there is a lot of talk about training here. In talking about dive conditions and equipment, or experiances, Smart and dumb things we've done, or seen others do. Anytime one of these things makes you stop and think, that's training. How many times has Mike offered DIR show and tells, along with hands on demo's? A lot. And several here have taken him up on it. If I was going into techinal diving, I would.
Nothing is training if you don't want to consider what is there to learn, and everything is training if you want to absorbe what is there for the taking.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]