How about alternatives to ditching weight?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on March 23, 2001 at 11:16:15:

In Reply to: Re: Ditchable Weight and Alternative Question. posted by Steve on March 23, 2001 at 10:21:10:

The best alternative to weight ditching is diving safely! OK so that was too easy of an answer, but it is very true. What kind of things do you expect to happen at 100 fsw that will cause you to choose an emergency buoyant ascent? Remember this is you last choice, certainly not your first.

I think that dive planning needs to include thinking about the potential for unexpected problems and a rough plan to deal with them. When you pair up for a dive and plan the dive what do you do? "Lets swim down the anchor line, then turn that way 'till we hit 1800 pounds and then we will come back a bit shallower. Sound OK to you?" This might work well with experienced divers used to diving with each other and their gear, but for most it is not enough planning and predive communication. Good planning and a buddy should eliminate the need for ever ditching weight at depth.

I also think that Dr. Bennett was making a point about deep stops being another method of reducing the overall ascent rate. He used the example of the spinal cord being a "fast" tissue, but it is illustrative of the overall problem associated with slow ascents reducing the amount of supersaturation. To me it made sense. Not that I am going to change from my computer and table-planned dive to watch the 12-minute clock, but I am stopping longer at mid depths from now on. I used to stop for a minute or so to adjust and enjoy the view at the halfway point. Now it will be longer. I already was a fan of safety stops, except when I am cold and tired (then I do them , but do not like them).

That being said, because I rarely dive with a weight belt, I do have the option of dropping a single weight pouch or both as the situation may dictate. I have never dropped my weight at depth, but there have been times at the surface where I was ready to drop mine!

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]