Re: Comparative Risks Compared to SCUBA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on March 26, 2001 at 09:58:01:

In Reply to: Comparative Risks Compared to SCUBA posted by tleemay on March 26, 2001 at 08:56:24:

Though it's interesting to see these numbers, I'd also be curious in knowing how they were derived.

While we know how many fatalities there are each year (through DAN's records), we don't know, accurately or even approximately (numbers you see are just "best guesses" from industry experts), how many people dive, how many dives a year they do, and how long those dives are.

Without that info, it's almost impoosible to compute an accurate base numbe of total in-water time.

So I'd be curious to know, lacking the very numbers you need to compute compartive risk, let alone on a "per hour of participation" basis, how they come up with this figure of "1.98 fatalities per million hours of participation."

Terry, is there are more complete info on the methodology and derivation of the base numbers in the original version of this report (which I realize you're merely relaying from another group)? That would be important info to have to evaluate the credibility of the findings.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]