Re: Large shark at Catalina

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ruough on April 05, 2001 at 00:48:09:

In Reply to: Large shark at Catalina posted by Chris on April 02, 2001 at 19:47:52:

Just a couple of comments about the shark. GW's like the cold water up here off the Oregon coast. 40 - 45 deg. They occasionaly develope a taste for surfers too. I was on the Prince Neptune last monday the 26th, the DM told us he had seen a similar shark the week before in Catalina harbor, and that he regularly sees GW's near the YMCA camp. I agree that the shark in the picture doesn't look like a GW, but the color doesn't seem right for a blue. The water near Catalina was 56 - 58 deg on the 26th. This was my first trip to catalina, and my first dives in California. Vis was very good by my standards, 50+ feet. Enjoyed the dive park, even with all the newbies getting certified. Hey, do those guys ever hurt anyone? I talked to a few of them. They get certified in three days. And there first time using the equipment they in the ocean. Wow, I wasted a lot of time studying and practicing in the pool. I saw people who were certified that couldn't put there gear together with out help. Scarry... Things are diferent in California. The Neptune people seemed OK. Had a good time, Saw a shark... horn shark. I even caught my first "bug". Too bad the season is closed. I am going back this fall... Hope someone gets a better picture of the GW?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]