Kinderscuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Hoffmann on April 23, 2001 at 14:35:58:

I have not PADI bashed in a while but, there is something about their Kids programs that get under my skin. Here is PADI newest program. It’s called Seal Team and it’s made for Children. Here’s a quote from the PADI flyer on this program: “Research shows that
youngsters in the eight and up bracket like to be part of something that’t not only exclusive, but kids-only. They learn best by doing things they enjoy, and through interaction. A successful program give children sufficient structure to provide direction
and accomplishment, but with the latitude to play and have new experiences. The PADI Seal Team program addresses all these. The basic program structure has participants ”qualify” and PADI Seal Team members by completing five pool dives called
Aquamisssions. During each mission, youngsters have fun learning dive skills and then playing games that apply those skills, after “qualifying” as PADI Seals, kids complete
specialized Aquamissions that let them have fun through interactive learning about dive skills and underwater sciences. Aquamission give then a taste of activities ranging from U/W photo,wreck diving, to space walks.
Naturally, you’ll find the program supported with the top-notch materials you depend.
An animated video featuring a five member, multicultural role model PADI Seal Team gives youngsters an exciting and entertaining Program overview, while establishing
important safety concepts. (By the way, the animated PADI Seal Team was “kid-tested, kid-approved”through focus groups in the eight to 10 age range). Of Course, there’s a PADI Seal Team Manual, PADI Seal Team Log Book, two levels of PIC cards, emblems and other items youngsters respond well to.”
I think that this program is very revealing, it shows allot about PADI and what PADI is thinking. First I think it shows how desperate they must be to go after the 8 year old market. Also look at how many times PADI is written in a two paragraph quote and
look at all the things PADI can sell the instructor and the student.
The real question is would you as a parent let your 8 year old use life support equipment in a pool with a PADI instructor or any instructor for that matter, and what’s next, will
PADI have the mini-PADI Seal Team for ages 5 to 8 year olds a “ kindergarten” scuba program, or maybe a pre-school scuba ages 2 to 5 program. I don’t know, what do you think?

Jim Hoffmann
Scuba Toys
HEE

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]