As a proud BubbleMaker Patch wearer...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on April 24, 2001 at 16:24:47:

In Reply to: Kinderscuba posted by Jim Hoffmann on April 23, 2001 at 14:35:58:

I have to say I like it. Everyone seems to look at this in the wrong way. I really do not think this is some evil deed like trying to hook little kids on compressed air and high PPN2s. I think that many of us who actively dive want to have our kids exposed to our sport at a young age. We need to have mechanisms to introduce and train them. If these are not available, we will take them in the neighbor's pool and do it ourselves.

Its like the Jr certifications. This is not a cert for the kid to be the only diver in the family. It is a cert for a kid to dive with his/her parents. The only aspect I have problems with in this regard is the parents should have to accompany the kid and do ALL the same skills in the CW and OW dives and pass ALL written tests. If the parents can't do this... they should not take their kid in the sea.

I am also a fan of the PADI BubbleMaker program. It allows kids who are a bit wary about diving to get the chance to experience it and see if they want to take the classes and do the work required to become a certified diver. It is good for kids to dive.

A couple of weeks ago we were in Joshua Tree and my 9 year old daughter was the first to rappel down a 100 foot cliff. Are we crazy for allowing her to harness up and lean back over the ledge? Some would say yes. Are we crazy for allowing our children to dive with us? Some would say yes. But it is all about controlling their experiences and maintaining a reasonable amount of safety. Personal Watercraft are even more dangerous and we do that. Snow skiing has claimed also many children, yet we do that too.

We divers need to be willing to admit that diving is not a "death defying" activity. Sure it can hurt or kill, but so can little league.

Oh yea, I really do have a BubbleMaker patch on my dive parka.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]