Re: Restriction: Parent or PADI PROFESSIONAL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by joe r on April 27, 2001 at 19:37:07:

In Reply to: Re: Restriction: Parent or PADI PROFESSIONAL posted by MHK on April 25, 2001 at 16:37:35:

I never say a statement that helium is bad for you. I doubt that he would since he uses it. The fact is He is very unforgiving of mistakes due to that rapid diffusion into and out of tissues. unlike an air/nitrox dive missing 1 or 2 deco stops and finishing the shallow stops especially without O2 will probably get you out iof the water without systems or maybe a type 1 hit (assuming you didn't miss to many stops) but on He missing 1 or 2 stops its likely that you will exhibit dcs symptoms while still underwater. I enjoy using He to nake my deep dives more enjoyable but I realize my deco would be much shorter on air/nitrox. PADI is a bit hypocritical but atleast they are now trying. There class is well laid out and definately discourages the unpreparred instructor or diver. If you arent capable of dive to 165 by yourself you shouldn't be there (don't take it that I'm saying to solo dive) I am just stating to safely dive to those depths and beyong you must be cacpable of doing it yourself, a familiar buddy with equivalent experience can enhance safety.
as to the restrictions on children I don't think its a bad idea, but the parent should see how the professional is. 10 and 11 year old can only dive with a professional or Parent (not sure if guardian is accept have to look at standards)not just an adult like a jr OW. Most divers I have seen are bad enough in the water at least a DM had to meet some level of competency. I have seen some DM that I wouldn't dive with and some OW that were great, but on the average an EXPERIENCED DM should make it a safer dive.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]