Mission Aborted.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JStone on May 02, 2001 at 20:26:55:

In Reply to: Moody on air - Dive Plan posted by JStone on May 02, 2001 at 00:46:03:

Thanks for the input. Prior to posting my question I ran a dive simulation on my Vyper, considered the PADI rec. diveplanner, and consulted the GUE decoplanner (the last of which I'm not formally trained to use). I used 120' as my reference depth. I'm not sure if this is the correct depth for a Moody dive. Each resource indicated that a no deco dive was possible, albeit at a very short bottom time. (I believe this is what's known as a bounce dive.) The necessity for a bounce style dive lead me to conclude that this dive was too close to the fringes of possibility and therefore fell within the realm of recklessness. (If you recall, one end of the spectrum of responses I suggested was "That's insanity.") Divers have and will continue to dive the Moody (and complete similar dives) configured as I suggested in my hypothetical. I dove to the bottom of Arch Rock (120')in the Poor Knights Islands, NZ early in my dive career. I believed, based on my PADI training, that I was being safe. The fact that I'm alive, and experienced no effects, to tell you about it is not an endorsement of what I did on that dive. This is a website frequented by recreational divers. These same divers need to clearly understand when they are moving into dangerous situations. The exchanges on this site, though sometimes reminiscent of squabbling siblings, functions to educate beyond well established, and perhaps well intentioned . . . though certainly well financed, dive education programs. At the very least these "exchanges" cause some, like me, to think a little harder and question our understanding. So, instead of a dive on the Moody on the 20th I'll take the first step in formal training towards Tech certification the following weekend. I'll also look forward to future episodes of "As The Dive BBS Turns." [Read: All of your insightful comments.] Don't live life blindly accepting "truth." Don't end life blindly accepting it either.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]