A sound reasonable approach to diving!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wayne on May 03, 2001 at 09:29:57:

In Reply to: DIR: confessions of a convert posted by AADIVER on May 03, 2001 at 08:24:55:

If we dive long enough we will all change our tastes in equipment and style. Equipment evolves to meet the needs of the changing wants and needs of divers. It is obvious that there are many ways to dive in relative safety. And the science is becoming better understood which leads to improved tecniques such as slower ascents, safety stops, deep stops (really slower ascents in my book).

So much of what we have in recreational scuba has come from specialized non-recreational diving. Mixed gasses are a good example, but SCUBA for the masses came that way also. Some of the new fads have come and gone quickly. Some have stuck around a bit longer -- like the SPG and octo. I think it is all about utility and fitness to a purpose.

I think the DIR cave divers have done a wonderful job in defining protocols for their domain. It has clearly shown its advantages in other explorations such as deep wrecks. Much of it is applicable to recreational diving and it is being incorporated in recreational diving in a slow evolutionary way -- as did BCs, LP Inflators, and other new technologies. What has not happened is a revolutionary change.

The reason it has not revolutionized diving is that recreational diving is so increadibly diverse in its participants and their ideas of fun. Reading that Mr. Farmer is adjusting his gear configuration and taking advantage of different equipment is great. What I am concerned about is the anticipated attack from the DIR Bullies (there, I said it) who will attack him because he has taken from them that which fits his purpose for diving.

I think the ALL OR NOTHING (ALL OR STROKE) approach to DIR has caused way too much ire. I think it has also hindred the acceptance of its recreational-friendly aspects.

Frank, I applaud you for your continuing to learn and update - taking advantage of what is available to enhance your diving pleasure. I also sympathize for when and if you are attacked for not changing from a wreck diver to a cave exploration diver.

Wayne

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]