I have thought about those issues before too, Steve

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on May 08, 2001 at 12:06:39:

In Reply to: Re: so whats the latest down there in SoCal on this? posted by Steve on May 08, 2001 at 09:45:20:

Here is precisely the issue you have touched upon, Steve. Lets say you are a D/M and you are assisting a class or leading a deep dive off a shore or boat, and for whatever reason one of the divers is weighted wrong and takes a plunge like the one you described? I have definitely thought about that.

Our boat dives around here tend to be a lot more controllable than the shore diving by the trench we have. So it could happen off a boat, but it would more likely happen near our trench, which is a beach dive. Of course, at a resort, it could also happen off a boat dive at a wall.

I think it would be suicide to attempt a rescue deeper than you knew you could safely go. Maybe not, but probably so. Therefore you are quite right, Steve, I do want to know what my own personal limitations will be in a deep dive scenario.

It is also true, that no one should try this at home on their own. And it takes time to adapt to deeper and deeper depths. I suppose that is why the tek courses have a prerequisite of deep dives up to some beginning point for their given course levels. It makes sense. There is a paradox, in that you cant safely get experience until you get experience.

I have been taking it slowly and gradually as I build up my experience in deep diving. I have also done additional reading and study on it. It teaches you a lot about yourself when you do that. Then again, I would agree, dont anybody else try this at home.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]