300 feet on air

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on May 08, 2001 at 16:23:47:

In Reply to: Re: The Last Dive posted by Jeff B on May 08, 2001 at 15:20:10:

none of us knows yet why this pair of divers, one of whom is now presumably with God in His Heaven, was diving to 300 feet on air. People have dived deeper than that on air, but they have built up to it very slowly. That is the point I was trying to convey.

I personally cant imagine trying an air dive to 300 feet. I especially cant imagine doing it solo, without a backup team on trimix.

But if thats what he was doing, then I hope he was building up to it slowly. I have built up to 173 feet slowly, with a huge unexpected hurtle that I encountered at 156. Obviously I am bewildered by anyone diving to 300, solo, without backup or rescue available. Hopefully his last successful air dive to an extreme depth like that was to 290. I just dont know, and neither do we, yet.

I hope thats a better explanation of my view on this.

Nothing is wrong with diving solo. Nothing is wrong with diving deep on air. Nothing is wrong with diving to 300 feet. What would be wrong is how to get there and for how long and why, in my opinion. Thats all.

I can see, that as an OWSI, you dont share other peoples wrecklessness. Thats good. It means you are a good OWSI, Jeff.

I wonder how Mike Kane is doing on his search and recovery? Right about now, he is probably checking his trimix repetitive dive calculations and asking himself whether he can go for another one in what is left of today.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]