Re: bouyancy drills

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Kurtis on May 15, 2001 at 10:25:18:

In Reply to: bouyancy question (back to rec diving) posted by JRM on May 15, 2001 at 08:00:01:

Here are a couple of drills that I use for my basic classes. Keep in mind that most people kick furiously thinking that merely staying off the bootom is an indication of good buoyancy. It is not. You can kick fast enough to make a brick seem to float so the goal in mastering buoyancy is to actually remove the fins from the equation.

1. MOVE-IN-SLOW-MOTION GAME. I kick as slowly as possible (which can be VERY slow) around the pool and the class cannot go faster than me. You must keep your arms folded on your chest and you can't touch the bottom.

2. FINGER WALKING. Place the tips of your fingers on the bottom of the pool and "walk" yourself along, without kicking. If you're too heavy you won't be able to budge. If you're too light you'll go floating up.

3. STOP IN THE NAME OF BUOYANCY. Kick at a normal (slow) speed and get your bouyancy set. Then come to a dead stop in the water while remaining horizontal. Those who have been using their fins to offset their negative buoyancy will go crashing to the bottom.

4. FINS OFF. Remove your fins totally and set them on the deck. Sit "Indian style" (legs drawn underneath you) vertically in the water. If your buoyancy is right, you'll be able to hover midwater, rising slightly when you inhale and sinking slightly when you exhale. [This is also an excellent drill to illustrate the importance to breath control and lung volume as a factor in controlling your bouyancy.]

Remeber that the key thing here is to PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!

Check yourself while you're diving in the open water. If you're using your hands a lot, you're too heavy (as if you're pushing off the bottom) - add air to your BC. If your feet are floating up and you're kicking down a lot, you're too light - let some air out of the BC.

Buoyancy is not a skill. It is an art. And it takes a while to become a master. But once you gety it down, it takes most of the work out of diving and will allow to you fully enjoy this fabulous sport.

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, Ca.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]