LA County ADP and experience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris on May 17, 2001 at 22:38:24:

In Reply to: Further Certification posted by mattschechter on May 16, 2001 at 23:11:21:

Your best choice for an advanced certification is the LA County Advanced Diver Program (ADP).
This 8 - 12 week course is far more rigorous than either a PADI or NAUI course.
It includes everything in your more basic advanced + rescue courses, and much more.

If you can't manage to take another course for now, you should continue to dive as much as possible.
Over the years I have received several certification, but I have learned much more from diving with experienced divers.
My main mentor when I first began to dive regularly was Paulette Johnson, who's photographs appear on them web site.
She showed me many tricks for diving in think kelp, wind, and especially how to find abalone.
Both she, and her husband Ed are instructors, but I have never taken any formal lessons from them.
Paulette has been diving since 1963 and her husband Ed Johnson was one of the first LA County instructors.
About two years ago I acquired an old two hose regulator I sometimes dive with.
Ed showed several procedures for clearing it underwater.

When you go out on dive boats, ask experienced divers about what they do and how they do it.
Most will be more than happy to share their experience.
If you want to know more about hunting, ask an experienced hunter questions, or accompany them on a dive.
If you want to learn about underwater photography, ask a photographer if you can assist them, most would love the help.
Most experienced divers have adopted certain procedures, equipment, and tricks that are helpful for their type of dives.
Observe these and as you develop your own diving goals adopt the ones that are most useful for you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]