rigs to reefs question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gelpi on May 18, 2001 at 09:24:29:

I just read the text and analysis of the SB1 "rigs to reefs" proposed legislation. The gist of the bill is that petroleum companies who must now remove offshore oil platforms in southern California may be allowed to just removed the tops and leave the jackets (i.e., the supporting structure) to a depth that is consistent with safety and current regulations. A significant percentage of the money saved by not doing a complete removal would go to DFG for reef management and to other marine conservation organizations.

Passage of this bill appears to be a good thing for divers (for everyone, actually). We'll get more and better dive sites, more area to set aside for marine preserves, fewer animals will be killed in the rig decommissioning process and a newly formed conservation orgainzation will be funded.

Yet, there are many organizations that are opposed to this bill. A web site search has not yielded any specific reasons why. Can readers of this board enlighten me with cogent reasons why this bill should not be enacted. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]