Re: Vanished tonight 10 PM channel 7

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Frasco on June 06, 2001 at 15:42:19:

In Reply to: Vanished tonight 10 PM channel 7 posted by Steve on June 06, 2001 at 14:50:18:

Steve:

If it is the story of the couple that vanished around 1998 or so, it is a true story. Whether or not the TV show sticks to the facts remains to be seen.

From what I remember of that case, a multiday charter came back to port, and when the crew went to clean up, they found all the luggage of one couple still in their berth. Turns out no one had seen them since the last dive, when they were allowed to go in "one last time" before the boat departed back to port.

It was a big deal in Australia when I visited in 1999. The skipper was on trial and it was all over the newspapers. He was eventually acquitted. But the dive boats were taking all sorts of extra roll calls and added effort to account for everyone after the dives.

Additionally, there was speculation that the husband/wife were CIA operatives due to their extended time away from the states to third world countries as volunteer workers/aid providers. Nothing was proven.

Finally, there was speculation that the husband was depressed and planned a deep dive suicide.

Husband and wife were never found, but I heard a rumor that a dive slate with some kind of last message was found.

Anyway, that's what I remember. Apparently the charter operator went out of business, so if you are planning a trip to Australia you won't have to worry about being booked with that boat.

-Eric-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]