Re: Diving in French Polynesia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul on June 07, 2001 at 14:15:32:

In Reply to: Diving in French Polynesia posted by TerryF on May 14, 2001 at 09:21:44:

Hi Terry,
Diving in French Polynesia is great!
(I go to Tahiti 3 or 3 times each month..Airlines)
The diving is usually 1 tank dives, 2 or 3 times each day, no, not too many night dives (navigating the reef passes at night can be dangerous) but some will do them inside the reef.

On Tahiti I recomend:
Aquatica (Beachcomber Parkroyal) (689) 53-34-96
Dider Alpini owner, Eric, Lionel, Florence- divemasters/instructors
4 or 5 good dive sites:
THE SHARK SITE, usually 5-10 small (4-5') black tip reef sharks and a few real big green moray eels.

THE SPRING, an underwater freshwater spring flows up to the surface, lots of life, usually a small turtle.

ST. ETIENNES DROP OFF, (My favorite) Edge of reef 20', bottom ? ( I was told 300') max depth usually 75-90

THE WRECKS, an old wooden freighter (just vertical timbers left and hardware) and a PBY Catalina at 60' inside the reef (you can swim into the Catalina, and exit through the cockpit hatch).
THE AQUARIUM, A good starter dive (usually 11am) with tame fish, a Cessna aircraft and a couple of sunken boats.Max depth 35'

On Moorea I have dove with M.U.S.T and Bathy's Club, and I have to recomend Bathy's Club (Moorea Beachcomber). (689)56-31-44. Pedro is the owner, Fronk is a good divemaster/instructor.
GREAT SHARK DIVE!!! DO IT!! Also, the stingray feed is cool...

I have also dove with Bora Diving center, on Bora Bora. (689)67-71-84 to see the Manta Rays. We saw groups of 3-6 Mantas with wingspans of 3 to 9'. Another must do!

If you are going to any other islands, I have some phone # and info about other dive shops, but can't comment personally.
There is a new book by Lonely Planet- Diving Tahiti.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]