Tahiti/French Polynesia recomendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul on June 07, 2001 at 14:25:46:

(this message was a follow up to a previous request)
Diving in French Polynesia is great! The diving is usually 1 tank dives, 2 or 3 times each day, not too many night dives (navigating the reef passes at night can be dangerous) but some will do them inside the reef.
On Tahiti I recomend: Aquatica (Beachcomber Parkroyal) (689) 53-34-96, Dider Alpini owner, Eric, Lionel, Florence- divemasters/instructors. 4 or 5 good dive sites: THE SHARK SITE, usually 5-10 small (4-5') black tip reef sharks and a few real big green moray eels. THE SPRING, an underwater freshwater spring flows up to the surface, lots of life, usually a small turtle. ST. ETIENNES DROP OFF, (My favorite) Edge of reef 20', bottom ? (I was told 300') max depth usually 75-90. THE WRECKS, an old wooden freighter (just vertical timbers left and hardware) and a PBY Catalina at 60' inside the reef(you can swim into the Catalina, and exit through the cockpit hatch). THE AQUARIUM, A good starter dive (usually 11am) with tame fish, a Cessna aircraft and a couple of sunken boats.Max depth 35'.

On Moorea I have dove with M.U.S.T and Bathy's Club, and I have to recomend Bathy's Club (Moorea Beachcomber). (689)56-31-44. Pedro is the owner, Fronk is a good divemaster/instructor. GREAT SHARK DIVE!!! DO IT!! Also, the stingray feed is cool...
I have also dove with Bora Diving center, on Bora Bora. (689)67-71-84 to see the Manta Rays. We saw groups of 3-6 Mantas with wingspans of 3 to 9'. Another must do!
For all the shops you can bring your own gear, or the have fine equipment (I bring my computer, mask and shortie). If you are going to any other islands, I have some phone # and info about other dive shops, but can't comment personally. There is also a new book by Lonely Planet- Diving Tahiti.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]