A bit of clarity here

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JRM on June 08, 2001 at 15:33:38:

In Reply to: Re: Gear: The chicken and the egg posted by John Walker on June 08, 2001 at 15:00:17:

Ah, I had the feeling that this might go badly...

John, I'm pretty sure we agree on every point (in this discussion). I understand that 99% of DIR divers do not directly profit from the sale of Halcyon gear (Don't take this the wrong way, but they profit indirectly, as Halcyon can continue as an entity, and continue to improve the gear the offer).

I appologize if the term "pimping" disagrees with you. While it does have a negative connotation, I used it because it's common slang, and somewhat appropriate for the conversation I was party to. I certainly don't consider myself among the "MHK/DIR detractors" at all. Although I do occasionally make offhand posts in jest, that's my cynical sense of humor, and I do not appologize for it. Rest assured that no party is safe from my rather dull wit.

I also very much appreciate the time you and other DIR advocates take in educating the masses (myself included). I dove a Halcyon rig at a DIR demo, and the rig sold itself. As a confirmed skeptic (a personality dicotomy that has defied years of therapy j/k), I was pleasantly surprised to find the system surpassed all expectations. As a rather poor younger person, I couldn't just go out and drop a ton of coin on a new system, so I had to wait for the right opportunity. One came along, and I now dive with a Halcyon wing. Next thing to be replaced is the Poseiden reg, again in overwhelming response to yours (and many others) experiences with the unit.

So I do look upon the DIR equipment recommendations as a very large favor. I do not have the money, time, nor experience to make many of the quality determinations that the DIR folks have spent years making. I appreciate very much your efforts and investments.

The point of my post above was sharing a conversation I witnessed/ opened my big mouth and got into with a rather vocal Halcyon detractor. I have been exceptionally pleased with my Halcyon product, and thought that I would share my take on the issue.

Someday I hope to able to get down and take both the DIR fundamentals and tech 1 class from you. It seems that the fates have been against me in this endevour :-( But please don't take my post as any form of "attack" on you or other DIR advocates. There's been more than enough of that without my assistance. I just thought I'd share my experience, and my opinion (not that I have many of those, mind you) with the world.

JRM

-- Here's my take on this particular BBS... I read this BBS for entertainment value. If I also glean good info from it, so much the better. But it's kind of like the soap opera my wife watches (and I give her endless crap about), the same people pretty much say/do the same things all the time. You can pop in and out, and we're bombarded by commercials. (Actually, now that I think about it, the banners don't show up on the post pages. Hmm, I smell additional impressions. Chris?). This board entertains the heck out of me, and I take the occasional pot shot to keep a hand in. I've interacted with some nice people, and met a few of them. Overall it's been a great ride, and I think it will continue to be. It's a great break from the hellacious days I spend in the salt mines. But I don't take anything I read here personally, and I don't want anyone to take anything that comes off my keyboard as personal. We aren't curing cancer here, we're talking about a pass-time. Granted, this board is *way* more volatile than the Salt Water Aquarium board I frequent, but then the stakes are a bit higher.

-- Man, has this turned into a rant. Sorry folks, perhaps I should have taken this off-line. Oh well, more impressions...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]