Re: Anybody remember Bill Barber and the Scuba Oceanography Explorer Post?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ted Coombs on June 11, 2001 at 10:24:16:

In Reply to: Anybody remember Bill Barber and the Scuba Oceanography Explorer Post? posted by Timotheus on June 08, 2001 at 16:47:19:

Ah yes, I remember well. I remember a few other things. First, one correction to Tim's earlier memories. There were two companies of which Bill Barber was a part. One, Ocean Academics, was the school, and the second, was Oceanographic Instrument Supply, with a small office on Hawthorne Blvd. I remember spending a day working on equipment there. I also remember purchasing all my first gear through them.

I also remember that after Bill Barber lost his scouting connection he went to work teaching SCUBA somewhere else. I remember some story about how he beat some kid with a snorkel and lost his teaching certificate.

Of course, my most powerful memory of that time was Dr. Glen Egstrom of NAUI. I remember showing him the Hawthorne Sea Diver (our school club) new dive tables, that my brother Tim concocted after I told him I thought it would all fit in a single table. Six months later NAUI came up with the NAUI New Way (sp?) tables. I wrote letters to Skin Diver and Dive Magazine protesting this obvious ripoff, but oh well, another lesson learned.

I agree that Bill Barber was the best SCUBA instructer anyone could have ever had, and Bill, should you ever read this, because of you, I still remember what year Rome fell. (He made us memorize everything, including that!) In fact, I still remember everything you taught us.

I also remember that incredible trip to Catalina where most of us got very sea sick because the channel crossing was particularly rough that day, and the water in Catalina was VERY cold. When I did a water entry with my brand new OIS suit, both the crotch snaps broke, and icy water poured into my suit.

BTW, Tim was the best SCUBA diving buddy I ever had. I wonder if he remembers TNT Divers, our first boat bottom cleaning company!

Ted

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]