if you think that is bad, then what about this

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RaiderKarl on June 11, 2001 at 18:11:03:

In Reply to: Re: Teachers and Fundamentals posted by MHK on June 11, 2001 at 18:00:33:

Although mast removal training by "some" PADI OWSIs may indeed be brief, please note that SSI does not even require any kind of mask removal drill at all, at least not complete mask removal. I had a huge discussion about this issue with an SSI OWSI who used to be a PADI D/M, and who has trouble with the current SSI approach.

In other words, the PADI approach in OW1 may not be up to the level of a GUE diver development program, but it could be even worse. N'est pas?

On the other hand, I know other PADI OWSIs who do the pass-the-mask drill, which is more of an IDC exercise in most places. It is not required by PADI. It will always depend on the quality of the particular instructor.

For the record, I am not taking a cheap shot at SSI here. SSI teaches some great classes too, like Nitrox for example, which I took from them on the recommendation of a NAUI OWSI, and it was a great class. It also happened to be the soonest Nitrox class available to me in town, and I was in a hurry at the time.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]